Saturday, March 31, 2012


 

 

 Sonja Carlson

3.29.2012


an angel crossed my path


Not only is this time of the semester memorable for me (I'm quite used to the drawl of finals by now, it being my seventh semester of college) but so is this time of year. One year ago this saturday, the most perfect person I have ever met left this earth. Risa Melody Whitaker died on March 31st, 2011 after battling a very rare and advanced form of cancer for about a year (even though her doctors told her she likely had it most of her life and it just went undetected). I was right in the middle of finals when I got the news, and had known for a little more than a week that her liver was failing. The fact that I wish I had more time with her is the only thing I regret about my friendship with Risa. And the fact that I wasn't really there when she was sick. I was always in school. But sometimes I think that maybe that was a good thing. So I didn't have to see her suffer as much. Because the times I did see her, I almost hated it. I felt so helpless. The above photos are just a quick glance at the past few years. The first ones include me tagging along at a dance competition, a fun barn dance, when my friend Elise got her wisdom teeth taken out, and a little late birthday celebration for my 19th birthday (with the traditional lemon-poppyseed cake). I'll never forget this moment from that night. Another photo is from a party for Jess (Railee, Risa's sister is underneath us) and then some are from this miracle and the rest are from Christmastime 2010. The last photo is from the last night I saw Risa. It was actually the last time a few of us saw her and she was so incredibly tired but stayed up late with us laughing and just talking. I think she knew something the rest of us didn't, or at least didn't want to realize. (and Railee is already asleep in this picture, typical...).


"How do you know if an angel has crossed your path? Sometimes you don't, because angels often appear as coincidences. That is, they seem like chance events, but they are really part of God's carefully orchestrated plan for your life." -Gary Kinnaman


Risa, (which means laughter) was and is a part of that plan for me. Just like the thousands of other lives she touched (in big or small ways) I needed her. I needed her to come into my life and then leave it for a reason. I have learned so much because of her Christlike example and love, and have truly changed. I wish that the whole entire world could have had the chance to know her. And the great thing is, this earthly experience does not last forever, and is, in fact, very short. Before Risa passed, I didn't really know what life was about. I especially didn't appreciate it enough. She was always there for me and everyone else around her and was the epitome of light and love. And with each day that passes, I cannot help but think of her. Sometimes, well most times, I still can't believe she's gone. But thats not the point. I think that maybe I feel that way because she is still very near. She hasn't really left. Because for one thing, who could forget that laugh?


I love you Risa sweetheart, and I'll see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment